The Kavala Airport operates from 1952. Initially was accomodated in the installations of Martial Aviation in the Amigdaleona Kavalas, region where it abstains 12 km, Western from the centre of city.
On 12 October 1981, it was transported 31 km Eastern, in the region of Hrisoupolis. Up to December 1987 it operated as airports of internal transport. From 16 December 1987 it was included in the International Airports.